Live steam model on 7¼" gauge of the Württembergische T3 no 924

Welcome to this blog. It will inform you about the progress of designing and building miniature live steam, coal fired locomotives for passenger hauling. Currently I'm working on a 7¼" gauge, scale 1:8, German T3 steam locomotive.

In 2006 I started this new project. This is a small 0-6-0 branch line locomotive of the German KWStE (Königlich Württembergischen Staatseisenbahnen) origin with outside cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. The loco is about 1.10 metre long and will weigh approx. 100 kg.

On the left you'll find the index where you can browse through the different articles and on the right you'll find all the extra's. On the top tabs you'll find a brief description of my other locos.

Enjoy this site. Erik-Jan Stroetinga. The Netherlands. Europe.

Thursday, 14 April 2016

Cylinder cladding

The cast iron cylinders have a  metal sheet cladding. No real technical function on the model, just for the  appearance.

The main cladding plates, after a test part was made to get the final dimensions.

The main plate was made of 0.75mm mild steel. It was rolled in bending rolls and the top radius was bended over a 16 mm steel rod on the sheet bender. 

A quick test if the plate would fit on the cylinder, held in position with some small magnets

The front an back plate are hand cut and filed from 1,5 mm mild steel, and hold here in position for marking holes.

Two M3 holes were made in the cylinder casting, and with small pointed Allan screws the plates the marking for the holes in plates was done. A small tap with the hamer on the plate was sufficient to copy the location of the position on to plates.

A view of the cladded cylinder

The front and back cladding plates, with  the holes of the glands made. This was a job of measuring it of the actual job.

Some brass angle profile was fixed with M2 screws

Only the screws on the front an back plates have to be unscrewed to remove the main cladding plate, so the oil check valve can be reached for maintenance if needed. 

The rear of the cylinder.

A CNC milled brass cover of the valve spindle. 

The two cylinders completed

While the cylinder was dismantled anyway,  I've made some oil groves in the cross-head, so it will be well lubricated.

This was done with the boring head and a small cutter, made of HSS.