Welcome

Live steam model on 7¼" gauge of the Württembergische T3 no 924

Welcome to this blog. It will inform you about the progress of designing and building miniature live steam, coal fired locomotives for passenger hauling. Currently I'm working on a 7¼" gauge, scale 1:8, German T3 steam locomotive.

In 2006 I started this new project. This is a small 0-6-0 branch line locomotive of German (Königlich Württembergischen Staatseisenbahnen) origin with outside cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. The loco is about 1.10 metre long and will weigh approx. 100 kg.

On the left you'll find the index where you can browse through the different articles and on the right you'll find all the extra's. On the top tabs you'll find a brief description of my other locos.

Enjoy this site. Erik-Jan Stroetinga. The Netherlands. Europe.

Sunday, 10 February 2013

The frames

The frames
With Inventor 3D modelling software I set out the first sketches and the data was used for laser cutting the main frames. Measurements were taken from works drawings of the book and from the Brawa H0 model. Later on I took measurements from one of the preserved locos in the Landesmuseum für Technik und Arbeit Mannheim.    

The mainframe and frame stretchers are laser cut in 4mm steel plate. These were the first parts of the new locomotive project in the work shop. It took me 11 years to build the 'Didcot', so only time will learn how long it will take me to complete this locomotive.




A test assembly for the frames.





The buffers and coupling hook

         

With a total length of 1.10m even the frame is quite heavy.



Giving an impression of size: At the top the 5"gauge GWR 0-4-2 'Didcot', below the 3½"gauge 0-6-2 'Mona' and in front of it, the 7¼" frame of the T3


Small steel angle profile (10x10x2 and 15x15x3mm) was used to erect the frames. Buffers are turned from mild steel bar, the coupling hooks are cut from solid steel bar. I always like to make these parts in the beginning, to get an impression of the size of the loco.